Sunday, June 17, 2007

Ayn ke Funde

Without a doubt, Ayn Rand ranks as one of my favourite authors. Though I don't completely agree with her theroy of objectivism, it has neverthless been one of the most inspiring pieces of literature. I truly believe in her philosophy that man must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life. Below are some of my favourite Ayn Rand quotes:

- The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
- To say 'I love you' one must first be able to say the 'I'.
- A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
- I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
- "Mediocrity" doesn't mean average intelligence, it means an average intelligence that resents and envies its betters.
- I don't build in order to have clients. I have clients in order to build. (Howard Roark in "The Fountainhead")
- When 'the common good' of a society is regarded as something apart from and superior to the individual good of its members, it means that the good of 'some' men takes precedence over the good of others, with those others consigned to the status of sacrificial animals.
- I am interested in politics for only one reason -- to reach a day when I would not have to be interested in politics. I want to secure a society in which I would be free to pursue my own concerns and goals, knowing that the government would not interfere to wreck them, knowing that my life, my work, my future were not at the mercy of the state.

No comments: